To be honest, I don’t think that there’s ever enough chocolate. There just never seems to be enough of good things..For me, Chocolate is THE ultimate comfort food and a must have in the kitchen..I don’t remember ever not needing a bar of chocolate..not a piece but a bar..May be that’s why there’s isn’t enough chocolate…
My love affair with chocolate is never ending and I hope it never does, so it’s only fair that my first post is about chocolate… This chocolate blackberry pudding cake is kinda like a big sister to chocolate lava cake and by that I mean, I make this cake when I have a party at my home, with more people than I have ramekins in the kitchen ‘been there’ you say? This cake is the perfect solution..
Ask me how this ‘Pudding cake is any similar to chocolate lava cake (or molten lava cake if you wanna call it that..) and I’ll tell you.., It is warm, gooey and this is the best part- you can make the batter ahead of time and it hardly takes 10-15 mins to prep it.. and even less if you melt the chocolate in microwave oven..so..big sister..to the lava cake..BOOM!
I’ve used fresh blackberries in this recipe, you can use raspberries instead, if you prefer. You can also add frozen berries if you can’t find fresh ones….summer is almost here and we have fresh berries in stores….
Like Sarah from www.thesugarhit.com says, Blackberries add so much intensity to the flavor of chocolate and this cake. Its citric and sweetness along with silky, buttery melted chocolate is a great combo.. I like to add enough berries so that with each spoon you can get a berry..(pikaboo..) and oh, it’s just perfect with a dollop of crème fraiche…
Melt chocolate and butter, and mix it up with rest of the ingredients. Let it bake for 20 minutes and that is all the work you need to do. The chocolate and berries take care of the rest.
Patience is not my best virtue… I just could not wait.. I ate my scoop in the kitchen, standing next to the cake as it was cooling down..It was warm, gooey chocolate dripping out of the spoon as I scooped some out of the bowl. I ignored that rouge piece that would rather stay on my shirt and just licked the spoon full of chocolaty goodness..
The recipe given below serves 6 people. You can double the amount if you have more people coming over. Honestly, you can make this just for yourself and your partner. It can last for up to a week in refrigerator although it never saw the third daylight with us..
Chocolate blackberry Pudding Cake (Serves 6)
- Butter – 150 grams
- Chocolate – 150 grams
- Sugar – 225 grams
- Eggs – 3(free range)
- Flour – 50 grams
- Fresh blackberries – 1 cup
- Preheat the oven to 200C or 400F.
- Butter a baking dish, I used a 26cm (10 inchs) rectangular deep baking dish.
- Boil some water on the stove and place a glass bowl on top of the dish, and melt the butter and chocolate together or you can melt them in microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring frequently.
- Once the butter and chocolate is melted and cooled, add sugar, flour and eggs mix well
- Transfer this mix into the baking dish, add blackberries
- Place the dish in oven and let it bake for 20 mins.
- To know if the cake is done, shake the dish slightly, cake will wobble in middle and will be firm on the sides.
- Let it cool a bit and serve.
- It pairs well with some crème fraiche or some sour cream!!
If there are any leftovers (doubt it), you can store it in refrigerator, just warm it up in microwave when you want to eat it again! Enjoy!